Not all people in San Diego, CA are born with perfect teeth; in fact, most people need to have their teeth straightened. The only problem is that if they don’t do it during when they are young and not self conscious they don’t do it at all – braces are considered unsightly and they tend to make people feel shy. In addition to that, no adult wants to have to wear metal braces to work – it just doesn’t look very professional. The good news is if you have crooked teeth that need straightening there is now a technology available that can straighten your teeth without being visible. It is called Invisalign. As the name suggests, this is a set of invisible aligners for the teeth.
There are now several dentists in San Diego, CA who are able to install Invisalign. This method of straightening teeth does not involve wires. Instead, you get a set made out of durable, safe plastic that is exchanged every fortnight for a tighter. Slowly, your teeth get back in line and in the end, you will have a great, straight smile. The process is painless – you may feel a bit awkward the first time you wear Invisalign but that quickly disappears and you don’t feel anything at all.
What are the benefits of using Invisalign?
We have already mentions that these braces are invisible because they are made of transparent plastic. This, obviously, is the biggest advantage that Invisalign holds over traditional braces. You can wear them to work or to social functions and no one will be able to tell that you are wearing braces. There are other advantages too:
- These braces are much more comfortable than traditional braces. Traditional braces are made up of a set of metal wires that have to be straightened every so often. Each tightening is painful and the pain sometimes takes a few hours to disappear. With Invisalign, none of this will happen. You will get a new set of braces every two weeks and when you put them on you will not feel any pain.
- Invisalign are removable unlike traditional braces that stay on permanently, sometimes staining teeth. You are required to take off your braes when you are eating or taking alcoholic beverages.
- Compared to traditional braces, Invisalign is a much safer option. Traditional braces have little protruding parts that can hurt the inside of your cheeks and your gums. Invisalign is completely smooth and there are no chances that you will be hurt.
- The other reason why more and more people are choosing to use Invisalign is the fact that it takes a shorter time to straighten teeth than traditional braces. With the old kind of braces, it takes up to 5 years and sometimes more for teeth to get into position. With Invisalign, most people are able to achieve that same result in a year. If your teeth are very crooked it might take a bit longer than that.
- With Invisalign you know exactly what to expect and when. Before your San Diego, CA dentist installs Invisalign, he will create a computer model that projects every stage of the treatment. This model is what he uses to get you new Invisalign moulds every fortnight. The computer projections are very accurate unlike traditional braces with which you have to wait and see. In fact, sometime a dentist’s projections with traditional braces can be all wrong which means that he has to re-do the procedure.
Are there downsides to Invisalign?
It is important that you know all there is to know about this new teeth straightening method including the downsides:
- The first thing that you should know is that Invisalign will cost you more than if you were to install traditional braces. That said, the fact that you are getting your teeth straightened without having to wear metal braces in your mouth and in a much shorter time means they are worth every penny you pay for them. San Diego, CA dentists who offer this treatment understand that many of their patients would like to choose this option but are prohibited by the cost. To mitigate this they offer payment plans – patients can pay a down payment and then pay a small amount every month until they are paid up.
- If your teeth are severely crooked Invisalign may not work for you. Your dentist will examine your teeth and tell you whether Invisalign can get the job done or whether you need traditional braces.You don’t need to be self conscious because you have crooked teeth. Go to your San Diego, CA dentist and let him install Invisalign; in just one year you will have the perfect smile!
How Does Invisalign® Work?
- A set of aligners are worn for about 2 weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move – little by little, week by week – until they have straightened to the final position the dentist has prescribed.
- You will visit us approximately once every 6-8 weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
- Total treatment time averages 11 months with the average number of aligners worn during treatment between 18 and 30. This of course will vary from case to case.
The aligners are made through a combination of our dentist’s expertise and 3-D computer imaging technology provided by the Invisalign® company.